Our team at Smart Self Storage believes strongly in giving back and investing in our community. This is even more important during the holiday season. As joyful as the season should be, often it is a time of stress for parents trying to make-ends-meet and provide gifts for their children for Christmas. This is where you come in!
Our family network of storage facilities has supported Toys for Tots for almost 20 years, through toy donations and monetary donations.
Here We Are In 2017 Presenting A Donation To Toys For Tots!
Although there are many worthwhile causes, we feel Toys for Tots has stood the test of time. Toys For Tots was started in 1947 by Major Bill Hendricks, USMCR. Hendricks and a handful of Marines collected 5,000 toys for less fortunate children that Christmas. This pilot program was so successful, the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve adopted it and expanded it nationwide in 1948.
Now For a Bit of Disney Trivia
As a personal favor to Major Hendricks, Walt Disney designed the first Toys for Tots poster which included a miniature three-car train that was subsequently adopted as the Toys for Tots logo we see today.
Toys for Tots Official Drop Off Sites and Deadline
Smart Self Storage is proud to be an official Toys for Tots sponsor. To make partnering with us easy, all of our Southern California facilities have collection boxes conveniently located in our lobby areas. Here are our drop sites that are available now to accept new, unwrapped toy donations until the deadline of December 13, 2018:
- Pasadena - Arroyo Parkway Self Storage, 411 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, CA 91105. Open Monday through Saturday 7 am to 7 pm and Sunday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. 626-585-8800
- Chino Hills - Chino Hills Self Storage, 15315 Red Barn Court, Chino Hills, CA 91709. Open Monday through Saturday 7 am to 7 pm and Sunday 10 am to 3 pm. 909-393-8899
- Lakewood - Lakewood Self Storage, 3969 Paramount Blvd., Lakewood, CA 90712. Open Monday through Saturday 8 am to 6 pm and Sunday 10 am to 3 pm. 562-627-1888
- Downtown Los Angeles - Los Angeles Self Storage, 1000 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90017. Open Monday through Saturday 8 am to 6 pm and Sunday 10 am to 3 pm. 213-481-1010
Please partner with us! The toys distributed are not only viewed as a simple gift, but also bring joy, happiness, and hope to the children in need. Hope is the key, and hope is what the Marine Corps Reserve is able to give through the Toys for Tots program. From 1947-2017 you have helped provide 548 million toys which have all been distributed nationwide. That equates to 548 million happy smiles! Follow us as we post collection updates on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Maybe you will see your toy donation in one of the posts.
Q. Can I attach batteries to a toy that requires them? A. Yes, you may tape the batteries to the package the toy is in. Please do not insert the batteries into the toy if the toy did not include batteries upon purchase.
Q. Is there a size limit to the toy? A. Absolutely not! If you are donating a large toy or a large quantity of toys, please call ahead and our friendly staff can assist you upon arrival.
Q. How can I get toys from Toys for Tots for my children? A. If you are in need of assistance providing toys for your children this Christmas, you may register at any Salvation Army location.
Q. Where will the toys get distributed? A. Toy donations get distributed locally.
Q. Can I donate toothbrushes or school supplies? A. Although those are worthwhile necessities, the Toys for Tots program focuses on toys for the Christmas season.
Q. Would it help if I wrap my toy donation? A. Please do not wrap the toys, they want to make sure each child gets an age appropriate toy so they need to be able to sort the toys in advance.
Q. Do they store toys for next year? A. No, all toys collected this year will be gifted to children this Christmas. The December 13th deadline insures time for the volunteers to sort, and distribute all toys collected in time for Christmas.
Fun Facts About The Smart Self Storage Team
We thought we would ask some of our team members what their favorite toy was when they were a child or how they chose the toy they are donating. Here are their responses:
- "My favorite toy was a stuffed reindeer named Max. I've had him since I was three and still have him today. I use to take him everywhere with me." - Jessi
- "My favorite toy as a boy was a glow worm." - Robert
- "I always enjoyed playing with remote control cars so that is what I am going to donate. Also, we are blessed with two young children, so I'm going to additionally donate toys for younger children and toddlers." - Ian
- "My favorite toy was a Chatty Cathy doll." - Joy
- "When I was about 7 or 8 I received a Crissy doll. She had red hair with a ponytail you could pull out from the top of her head, and a button on her back you pushed to shorten the ponytail." - Mary
- "My daughter is a special education teacher so I am going to donate a toy specifically designed in mind for a child with special needs." - Vivian
From all of us at Smart Self Storage, we thank you for your patronage and hope you have a healthy and happy holiday season and a prosperous New Year!