This is a great time to begin the details of your move.
- Make a list of items you plan on moving to your new home and items you wish to take to storage. Make a list of items to be handled by the mover and those you will handle yourself. Dispose of the items that you do not need and consider a garage sale if you have time.
- Get estimates from several moving companies.
- Research and select a professional moving company. After selecting your mover, discuss costs, packing, timing and other necessary details.
- Many moving expenses are tax deductible, so maintain a file with important information and receipts for moving related expenses.
- If moving to a new community, find out about the schools, parks, recreation, and community programs from the local Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Bureau.
- Transfer medical, property, fire and auto insurance through your insurance agent.
- Place all your medical records in a safe place. Do not forget prescriptions, vaccination records, and other important information.