The holiday season is here…now that Halloween and Thanksgiving have past, we have Christmas to look forward to! This is the time of year that families are going to be getting together to celebrate. Are you one of those families that tend to take on the pleasure of hosting friends and family in your home? There are several customers of Smart Self Storage that love this time of the year, the celebrating with friends, the meals that they plan and the like.
For those who will be entertaining friends and family over the holiday season, they always want their home to look its best. What does this mean? It most often means that you can bet each person is going to do a deep cleaning of their home. And once this is done, they are going to start decorating their home for that specific holiday. This is where a self storage unit can help those who are avid decorators of their home.
Why Choose a Self Storage Unit?
Who wants to put boxes upon boxes stacked inside of a closet of all your holiday décor? No one! After all, the closet could be used for more important things. However, many people often shove these decorations into the nearest closet that they can find, they then are a bit unhappy when the next season rolls around, and these holiday decorations have gotten battered and beaten to the point that they cannot be used. So, why should you choose a self storage unit to help with organizing your holiday décor?
- Because it will save you space at home, and who doesn't need more space?
- It will allow you to have the room to ensure that the holiday décor that you store is being stored properly, meaning no more broken décor!
- You won't have to worry about stepping around things or moving them from time to time throughout the year, since it won't be in your home.
Those who choose self storage units for their holiday decorations are going to find that this is one of the best decisions that they can make! With this being said, we have a few tips that can help you during the holiday season to determine which decorations you need to store and those that you don't!
Before the Holiday Season
What season do you decorate for? Do you decorate for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas? Maybe even Easter? Whatever the holiday that you decorate for, you need to start removing the unnecessary clutter from your home before you bring out these holiday decorations and before those family and friends start arriving. Here are a few ways that you can do this in a speedy way that is going to give you result:
- Go through each room slowly and box up those items that you know you are not going to need right now. For example, do you have spring time décor out? If so, box it up as you know you don't want it out when it is time for Thanksgiving.
- Remember that you may have more people in your home during the holiday season, so take some time to move those extra pieces of furniture out that you may not need. For example, while you may love your life size statue, it could be taking up space that could be used for when you have guests over.
- Take your time with this process so that you know you are getting everything stored in a box that is ready for self storage and will be easily found later. Taking a few extra minutes to box everything up as it should be could save you hours later trying to find it in a self storage unit.
During the Holiday Season
During the holiday season, you need to look at your self storage unit as a base for your holiday décor. For example, once Halloween is over, start to pack these items back into the self storage unit and then you can grab those Thanksgiving décor items as well. If you look at your self storage unit as a base, you are going to find that it will be much easier. A few more tips to remember:
- Always label those boxes that contain the decorations so that you can easily find anything.
- Do not overpack boxes as this can cause items to become damaged.
- Use packing paper where needed to add an extra layer of protection.
Remember, you have invested a lot into these decorations, so be sure that you are treating them as they should be and making them last for years to come.
After the Holidays are Over
Once the Holidays are over, most people are simply exhausted. If you think about, we spend the last three months of the year in host/hostess mode! With this being said, it is time to get back to normal. You can start packing up all the Christmas décor to put back into self storage, and then make sure that you are pulling out all those things that you may have packed up before the holiday season to make room in your home for guests. Remember, you don't have to do this the day after Christmas. But, you also don't want to be one of those people who keep their decorations up for months after the holiday has passed! A few more final tips:
- Try to get these decorations back up and in storage within a week after the holidays are over. Wait longer than this and you may find that you are busy with other everyday life things.
- Be sure to pack these items back into their boxes that are clearly labeled.
- Take your time, there is no need to rush and mispack items.
For those who are avid holiday decorators and who often entertain during the holidays, a self storage unit is one of the best investments that you can make. This is going to be a way to keep everything organized, easy to find and safe while not in use!